Monday, March 14, 2016

Poem

So, I had a moment of hesitation tonight. I was in the hospital doing my Monday night volunteer thing, and I was curious about how much nurses make. My head nurse, I will call her H, told me she works four 12-hour days as her workweek, as do many of the other nurses. I looked up what a nurse in my area makes, on average. $60k. That's the average amount. Checking with CareerBuilder and the hospital's careers page directly, and they report close to the same numbers, about $27/28 per hour for Full-Time Nurses.

What if I'm in school for the wrong thing? What if I would make a great nurse, and have wasted so much time doing something else?

What if I hate my job?

What if I never get a job?

What if I never finished school?

Where is my summer tuition payment coming from?

....And so the spiral began. Into the deep dark hole of insecurity and uncertainty; of wanting to run away and leave everything behind; of feeling miserable about being my age and not having a definitive plan of action, or a clear course laid out.

But, instead of clamming up and losing my head, I decided to start writing... and I ended up with a poem.

Enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. You wrote that! Seriously! Amazing!!

    You know....maybe you are meant to be a nurse, or a doctor or an engineer! I'm not sure I still know what I want to be and I am almost 40! I think that the path you are on is a good one...because hopefully it will allow you to do the things that nurses don't have as much time to do anymore....offer comfort, love and support to their patients.

    Love you!
    xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete